Welcome to my crazy blog, where I test out almost anything I feel like in Pokémon (mostly in Ubers). This blog has but one goal: make myself have an organized list of sets to test. The most important thing to note about this blog is that almost every set posted in this blog is likely to fail after testing! If a set and/or Pokémon is analysis worthy though, I will note that! If you want to suggest a set to test or something to comment on, just PM me at Smogon (I don't want to have comments here, because I doubt I will ever look at them)

Friday, April 30, 2010

Probopass










OH SHIT IT'S MR. POTATO HEAD!

Set 1: Tormentran's Retarded Cousin
Torment
Substitute
Protect
Pain Split / Taunt / Earth Power
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD Calm
ability: Magent Pull
item: Leftovers
status: Tested on poor quality teams, needs more testing. has a chance of making it!

Yep this is exactly what it looks like: a rip off of Torment Heatran! I personally love that bastard in Ubers, especially when I got Toxic Spikes up. So when I saw Probopass's pretty damn good defenses, Steel-typing, and movepool, I just can't resist the desire to test this, despite the horrors that come with its Rock / Steel typing!

Okay for people who don't know why Tormentran kicks ass, heres a short lesson. The concept is to get Toxic Spikes up, then when ever it gets a free turn, set up a Substitute. Then, you Torment the opponent, and if they have only one move that can break your sub and get hit by Toxic Spikes (that happens quite a bit with Heatran!), they are going to get out stalled. Choice users got it even worse, being forced to struggle every other turn!

Now there is a reason I am calling this set Tormentran's retardard cousin: Rock / Steel is sure as hell no where close to as good of a typing as Fire / Steel with Flash Fire is. This defintly hurts Probopass's chances against several Pokémon. For example, Dialga can hurt you pretty badly with sunny boosted Fire Blasts. However, Probopass does have some other quirks that make me more curious about testing it. First of all, look at its NICE DEFENSES! This thing has a Defense stat that can be compared favorable to Skarmories, yet it has an even bigger Special Defense stat! Too give you a picture of this things durability, it takes 88% max from an unboosted Mewtwo's Aura Sphere (and even less in the sand!). Pretty impressive for a 4x weakness, eh? Although I don't plan on giving it Sandstream support, I certainly will apperciate opposing Tyranitar!

While Probopass has all these cool perks over Tormentran, it's last moveslot reveals what I predict will be its biggest weakness (besides its typing lol): It's really weak. Well, Probopass does have the awesome Magnet Pull ability, which when combined with Torment, really screws up choiced Steel-types!

Probopass also has a weird and potentially useful option that Heatran lacks: Pain Split! Yeah thats right, Probopass actually has a primitive form of recovery! combined with Substitute, I can see Pain Split possibly being a life saver in certain situations. Like Heatran, Probopass gets Taunt, which it can use to shut up CM Rest Talk Kyogre, Bulk Up Dialga, and Wobbuffet. Finally, I could use Earthpower if I start seeing Heatran on the ladder.

I can't help but want to test a Pokémon like Tormentran, I love using that beast. Probopass looks like it has the possibity of being a wacky alternitive. However, I will need to test it to see if Probopass's perks make it worthy for an Ubers analysis!

Update: I have done some testing on some rather... poor quality teams. I don't have a verdict on it yet, however, like I predicted, its weak as hell. However, screwing over choiced steels with Torment is freaking AWESOME. Also, Hidden Power Fire sucked since Taunt screwed over Forretress much more badly. I will update this when I test Probopass on some better teams.